Good Old Songs (1)
In a letter written to Peter Carr in September 1814, Thomas Jefferson expressed his clear intention to integrate music study into the curriculum for the new university. He envisioned that music theory would be combined in a department with Civil Architecture, Gardening, Painting and Sculpture. In the 1820s, the University's Board of Visitors approved music instruction on Grounds. However, in the absence of funds to erect a music building, classes and lessons took place in the Rotunda.
In 1919, Paul McIntire agreed to fund a school of music history and appreciation, based on similar programs at Yale, Princeton, and Harvard. By 1950, the curriculum included history, theory, composition, choral singing, orchestra, and instrumental instruction. Studies in the history of jazz, ethnic music, and electronic music appeared in the 1970s, and the Virginia Center for Computer Music was established in 1988. This center supports work in computer sound generation and related topics. Currently, the Music Department includes eleven full-time academic faculty and over 50 music majors. It sponsors over 80 concerts and lectures each year.
The Virginia Glee Club, the first musical organization at the University, was founded in 1871 when a group of students rooming in Cabell House banded together into a singing group.
In this 1920 musical play, the ghost of Thomas Jefferson visits the University of Virginia, where "he is alternately amused, dazed, and angry at the many changes about him."