Front elevation of Rouss Hall (Physical Laboratory)
Front elevation of Rouss Hall (Physical Laboratory), 1896 McKim, Mead & White, architects; signed by Sawyer, draftsman Diazotype print and wash on linen, 20 3/4 x 66 1/4 in. University Archives (RG-31/1/2:2.872)
White divided the façades of Cabell, Cocke, and Rouss Halls to disguise their considerable size. The central, pedimented porticos are stepped out from the main mass of the buildings, giving the impression of a series of connected buildings rather than a singular bulk. The buildings’ red brick and white trim reflects White’s interest in maintaining an architectural dialogue with the original Jefferson buildings. His use of classical Greek details--in contrast to Jefferson’s Roman sources--continued the Lawn’s references to the ancients.