Sketch of Newcomb Hall, pre-1950
Sketch of Newcomb Hall, pre-1950 Edmund S. Campbell Pencil and crayon on trace, 26 1/4 x 36 in. (MSS 6169-a)
The McCormick Road dormitories’ isolation and lack of common spaces, coupled with concerns over the dominance of fraternities in University life, led to the construction of Newcomb Hall in the 1950s. Built behind Peabody Hall, the University’s first student center served as a physical link between the residential and academic campuses. As with the Munford and McCormick Road dorms, Eggers and Higgins opted for a restrained Georgian revival style rather than the exuberant classicism of the Architectural Commission or Stanford White.
Newcomb Hall, 1955
Rendering of Newcomb Hall (Student Activities Building) from Alumni News, 1955 (LH1 .V6 A5 Feb 1955)