The Psychedelic '60s: Literary Tradition and Social Change was curated by George Riser, Special Collections, with exhibition text written by George Riser and Stephen Railton, Professor of English, U.Va. The exhibition was on view in the Tracy W. McGregor Room of Special Collections in Alderman Library from April 1 through September 15, 1998.
Materials from the physical exhibition were digitized by staff in the Special Collections Digital Center. The original digital version of the site was designed by Josie Pipkin, Web Manager of the University Library, with assistance on the homepage logo from Gretchen Knight and assistance on the cgi image load scripting from George Pipkin.
The current website was built in Omeka by the Online Library Environment team in 2012.
The original website was:
- chosen by The Scout Report June, 30, 1998, as a selected site of the week
- chosen as one of CyberTeddy's Top 500 WebSites, July 7, 1998
- chosen as a site of the week by WebTrips
- reviewed in the Chronicle of Higher Education on July 2, 1998.
- selected as an award-winner for August 1998 by Gray Areas Magazine
- featured on CNN Headline News on November 11, 1998
- awarded A#1 Quality Award for Excellence by Quality Search Engine, January, 1999